10 Housekeeping Pet Peeves That Will Make Any Type-A Person’s Skin Crawl
A maid would be awesome, but since I don’t have one and my husband travels a lot for work, I end up doing all the housework myself. I guess it’s a good thing, because when he returns or when family is over, I notice there are certain things that drive me unbelievably batty.
I’ve actually heard that there are people who put their toilet paper on the roll purposely with the paper going down the back of the wall, rather than over the top of the roll. This is the type of thing that gives me a twitch. It turns out there are a lot of things that make me twitch this way. I don’t know if I can blame it on my Greek and Italian genetics (my aunts in Greece iron their underwear and mop their balconies) – or if I’m just really type-A about cleanliness.
1. Washing a cup and placing it upside down in the cupboard to dry.
Hence trapping a mildewy smell underneath the cup. Gross.
2. Doing the dishes and leaving the silverware, or anything, dirty in the sink.
Why would you do this? Why would you ever do this. Almost every time my husband does the dishes, he leaves something unwashed in the sink. What gives? Are there some dishes that just don’t deserve to be washed?
3. Dusting around objects instead of clearing off surfaces before you dust.
4. Letting clean clothes sit in a pile – unfolded – for longer than a couple hours.
Congratulations – now everything needs to be ironed. I pride myself on never using my iron, so folding immediately is the way to go.
5. Opening something – like hotdogs- and not putting the open package in a Ziploc bag before you put it back in the fridge.
When my man does this I question our whole relationship. Hot dog juice dripping on other things in the fridge makes me vomit in my mouth a little.
6. Not moving area rugs to get all the crap trapped underneath when you vacuum.
Again, why bother?
7. Leaving empty toilet paper rolls on the back of the toilet when you change the roll.
Am I the only one who has an empty toilet paper roll collector living under her roof? Okay.
8. Wiping the surface of a foggy mirror after you shower with a bath towel.
GAAAHHHHHHH. Can you see yourself in the filthy mirror now?
9. Put anything that warrants covering in the fridge uncovered.
There’s an incredible invention called Saran Wrap. Not everyone appreciates its glory.
10. Reusing damp paper towels.
I’ll know I’ve turned into my mother when I start reusing paper towels. When she watches the kids there are used paper towels all over my kitchen counter. When I try to throw them away she says – Those are clean!