Victim Of Gang Rape Cremated Today Did Not Die ‘Peacefully’

shutterstock_120314095The 23-year-old victim of a horrific gang rape in India died this week. Her body was flown back to India today where she was cremated.

The victim “passed away peacefully” with her family and officials of the Indian Embassy by her side, Dr. Kevin Loh, the chief executive of Mount Elizabeth hospital, said in a statement.

“Despite all efforts by a team of eight specialists in Mount Elizabeth Hospital to keep her stable, her condition continued to deteriorate over these two days,” Loh said. “She had suffered from severe organ failure following serious injuries to her body and brain. She was courageous in fighting for her life for so long against the odds but the trauma to her body was too severe for her to overcome.”

The six men who attacked her inserted an iron rod into her body, causing damage so severe she had to be flown to Singapore to a hospital that specializes in organ transplants to have her intestines removed. She suffered a severe lung and abdominal infection, brain injury and a heart attack.

This woman did not die “peacefully.” The last moments of her conscious life were spent in brutal horror and she was robbed of her future by a group of barbaric animals. After her death on Saturday, all six men were charged with murder.

The horrific nature of the crime sent thousands of protesters into the streets and brought to light the terrifying conditions women in India face. If the circumstances around this awful crime ignite a spark of change in this country – she would not have died in vain. But her death was not “peaceful.” No woman should have to face these atrocities to “wake” a government that doesn’t care about their safety and well being into action.

The Indian government failed this woman, and continues to fail all the women who are being raped an average of every 20 minutes. Her blood is on their hands, as is the collective horror that their female citizens face daily.

(photo: lilavadee/





Similar Posts