Preschooler Finds Xanax In Easter Egg, Still Better Than The Pennies Grandma Always Gives
Roseville, Michigan police are investigating after a parent reported that her daughter came home from school with a plastic Easter egg that contained an Alprazolam pill, which is the generic brand for Xanax. Either someone made a huge mistake when they were separating their adult goodies from the kid goodies, or the Easter Bunny is now a drug dealer. Because I definitely don’t remember getting Xanax Easter treats in my basket as a kid.
The child attends preschool at Huron Park Elementary, and local parents such asÂ Janice TerryÂ areÂ understandably outraged, as one is wont to be after someone gives a kid drugs instead of candy:
â€œIâ€™m really shocked, especially since it was a really little kid. For a little preschooler to bring home drugs in an Easter egg? Thatâ€™s insane.”
Janice’s own 5-year-old son did not receive an illicit Easter treat, but she’s still shaken at the thought that he could have, a feeling I’m sure every parent can relate to. A child that young could easily mistake a brightly colored Xanax-type pill for a piece of candy. As you can see from the photo below, they look quite a bit like Altoids or other small candies. Especially if you’re a little kid when everything looks like candy.
Police say that the school had asked for donations prior to their annual Easter activities, so it’s not clear whether the drug came from a school employee or an outside party. Thankfully there has only been one pill found so far, but parents are still pretty pissed that this was allowed to happen even one time.Â Amber Ross, another Huron Park Elementary mom had this to say:
â€œItâ€™s enough if you have a problem with Xanax, but donâ€™t bring our kids into it, itâ€™s an elementary school, they couldâ€™ve eaten it like a piece of candy.”
Now, I highly doubt that the Xanax pill was put in the egg purposely, mostly because those little bastards are expensive as hell. What junkie would “waste” good drugs on a little kid? What I don’t understand is how it was missed by school officials. Did they not check the donations for inappropriate items? When I volunteered at my kids’ school last year for Easter, we had to spend two hours going through each and every donation to make sure there were no stray hypodermic needles, random bullets or non-Bloomberg approved snack cakes. In an age of zero tolerance and bans on baked sales, I’m shocked that this managed to get by so many people and into the hands of a preschooler.