Handing Your Young Child A Sparkler Is Pretty Stupid
What’s the harm in handing a toddler a fun little sparkly stick? Well for starters, the end of a sparkler burns at 2,000 degrees. For some reason, on Fourth of July, parents who normally wouldn’t dream of handing their children matches, candles, or fire in any capacity think it’s a-ok to hand them one of these sparkly little burn-makers. I don’t get it.
I know what you’re thinking – YOU SUCK! You’re no fun. You’re a stupid sanctimommy. Well, when the shoe fits I gladly accept my labels. Yes, when it comes to Fourth of July, I am a total drag. Because it can be really dangerous, people!
Which fireworks caused the most injuries? Sparklers accounted for 2,300 of the 7,400 injuries reported during the in-depth study. The flickering wands burn at roughly 2,000 degrees, Adler noted, and often wind up in the hands of children.
Hands and fingers were the body parts most likely to be burned or otherwise injured, accounting for 36 percent of injuries during the month-long study. They were followed by the head and face (22 percent), eye (16 percent) and leg (14 percent).
More injuries happen from sparklers than any other fireworks. Most of the injuries didn’t require a hospital stay – they were just treated in the ER and released. But they warranted a trip to the ER; I think that’s bad enough. Also, don’t people want to relax, have a few drinks and chill out by the barbecue on the fourth? There’s nothing relaxing about having to hawk over your children because you’ve handed them something that could burn their face. Or the dog. Or whatever.
Little kids running around swirling sparklers are probably the happiest little beings around. I don’t care. My kid isn’t getting one until he’s old enough to understand that the cute little sparkle at the end is really dangerous. God I miss New York City, where crap like this isn’t even legal and I don’t have to be the boring mom.
(photo: Africa Studio/ Shutterstock)