Expecting Mother Tragically Dies After Trainee Surgeons Accidentally Remove Her Ovary Instead Of Her Problematic Appendix

empty hospital bedA 32-year-old expecting mother is no longer among us after a serious negligence caused her untimely demise. And all it started with appendicitis that, despite being known by doctors, was corrected much too late.

The Telegraph reports that Maria De Jesus, a teaching assistant, was released from the hospital eight days after a sloppy operation that was confirmed as a mistake. Maria was “heavily” pregnant at the time of her appendix removal so locating the correct organ to remove was a bit tricky, according to her husband. All the more reason that it’s rather curious that the task was left to unsupervised trainee surgeons who had to “feel” around for the appendix.

Six days after being released, Maria went back into the hospital with “crippling stomach pains.” Two days after that, she reportedly miscarried. And that was the same day that hospital staff realized that these unsupervised trainee surgeons accidentally removed her ovary.

Nineteen days after having her ovary needlessly jacked, Maria died on the operating table as her appendix was being removed. Due to her appendicitis, Maria endured severe sepsis and died of multiple organ failure.

Furthermore, the corner concludes that there was “a lost window of opportunity” in saving Maria’s life.

Queen’s Hospital in Romford in Essex has admitted liability and apologized to the De Jesus family. The hospital staff reportedly feels awful:

Averil Dongworth, chief executive of Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospital Trust, said in a statement: ”The staff involved in Mrs De Jesus’ care have been deeply affected by her death.

“An extensive trust-wide action plan was drawn up following Mrs De Jesus’ death in 2011 to ensure that such a tragic incident will not happen again.

“We have kept Mrs De Jesus’ family fully informed about the investigation into her death and the subsequent wide-ranging work which has taken place to improve systems and patient safety.”

Nevertheless, Maria’s widower is promising legal action, along with his children, aged 10 and 16:

“This is neglect, this is an unlawful killing. If my wife had been given treatment by fully qualified staff and people were informed of the mistake earlier she could still be alive.”

Sure sounds like it.

(photo: hxdbzxy / Shutterstock)

Similar Posts