10 Unbelievable Things OBs Have Said During Birth
I have a great respect for the medical communityâ€”doctors, midwives, nurses, and everyone else who supports expectant mothers during childbirth and often saves lives. But of course, medical professionals are people too. Sometimes they say the darndest things.
I came across an eye-opening website called My OB Said What that chronicles just that: The good, the bad, and the ugly things that have come out of the mouths of medical staff. To their credit, some OBs have been reported as saying encouraging, wonderful things to pregnant women. Others may need another lesson in bedside mannerâ€¦
First, the goodâ€¦
1. Your Husband Would Be Proud Of You.
â€œHe would be so proud of you.â€
– Midwife to mother giving birth to her first child while her husband was deployed.
2. You Must Be Tired, Get Some Sleep.
â€œDonâ€™t worry, Iâ€™ll take care of him, you get some sleep.â€
– Postpartum nurse to mother who was crying while struggling with pumping and feeding and soothing her newborn who was born with a cleft palate and could not nurse.
3. If A Home Birth Is What You Want, I Support You.
â€œSure! If you are healthy and live close to the hospital, you can have your baby at home!â€
– OBâ€™s response when mother informed the OB that she was seeking a midwife for a homebirth.
4. Thanks For The Complimentâ€¦?
â€œWow, youâ€™ve got a really high cervix! Even after you push these two out, thereâ€™s no way itâ€™ll prolapse!â€
– OB to mother in stirrups during the placement of two IVF embryos.
Now, the badâ€¦