Enfamil Baby Formula Unrelated To Newborn’s Death
Parents everywhere can breathe a (slight) sigh of relief: Enfamil baby formula is free from a deadly bacteria that tragically claimed the life ofÂ 10-day-old Missouri boy Avery Cornett late last week.
Cornett had contracted a rare bacterial infection called Cronobacter sakazakii after consuming Enfamil purchased at a Walmart store in Lebanon, Illinois. Not wanting to take any chances, the retail chain immediately pulled the product from more than 3,000 of its stores nationwide while samples of the formula were sent to the FDA and CDC for testing.
Now those test results are back and, according to reports, Enfamil is free of the bacteria blamed for the infant’s death. Mead Johnson Nutrition, manufacturers of Enfamil, said the samples were taken from the same lot as formula given to the baby boy.
Of course, that doesn’t bring back Cornett, and our hearts just break for his family and their terrible loss. But it’s reassuring to know that baby formula wasn’t the cause.